Tofino Accommodation Options
All travel and accommodation information can be downloaded here:
12th ICE Travel and Accommodation - PDF
To see a map of accommodation sites, click here.
We have selected several accommodation partners located on beautiful Mackenzie Beach. All these locations are within easy walking distance of the main Congress site, Tin Wis Resort.
We have also designated one of these partners, the Clayoquot Field Station, just for students.
You can find brief descriptions below, and links to websites for further information. Congress participants are responsible for making their own accommodation arrangements. A credit card is required for all accommodation reservations in Tofino. Tofino is a well-known international destination, so YOU MUST MAKE ARRANGEMENTS BEFORE ARRIVING IN TOFINO.
Please contact us if you are experiencing difficulty or require assistance in Spanish. For help understanding North American terms, please scroll down to the end of this page.
Tin Wis Resort is the primary locale of the Congress. Part of the internationally known Best Western family of hotels, the Tin Wis Resort has 85 ocean-front rooms in a wide range of room types. All rooms feature private bathrooms. Most rooms, called "Queen/Queens" feature two queen sized beds. The "King/Double" has a king sized bed and a double hide-a-bed. The "King/Kitchenette" has a king sized bed and kitchenette. The "Queen/Loft" has a queen bed and a double bed. Most rooms have televisions, radios and telephones. Free wireless or hard-wired internet is available. The Calm Waters Restaurant, located in the main building, provides breakfast and dinner, and the resort has a sauna, hot tub and fitness facilities.
Maximum 4 persons per room.
Middle Beach Lodge
Located a 5-10 minute walk north of the main congress site at Tin Wis Resort (via the beach), the Middle Beach Lodge is comprised of two main lodges with hotel rooms, and 22 cabins. One of the two lodges, "At the Beach" has been reserved for Congress delegates, with rooms available at the special Congress rate of $95 + taxes. This lodge is adult-oriented, Most of these rooms have one queen bed and sleep up to two people. A few rooms with more than one bed are available at a slightly higher rate. All rooms have private bathrooms and like the rest of the lodge, are beautifully decorated with planked hardwood floors and antique pine furnishings. Most rooms have radios and telephones. Free wireless internet is available.
Rooms with one bed sleep a maximum of 2 people.
Rooms with two beds sleep a maximum of 4 people.
Special Congress rates starting at $95 + 15% tax are being offered for rooms with one bed. Please tell the hotel reception staff that you are attending the 2010 Ethnobiology Congress.
Clayoquot Field Station
Dormitory-style accommodation at the Clayoquot Field Station has been reserved for students only from May 7-14, 2010. If you are not a student but you wish to extend your stay in Tofino after the congress, we would be happy to accommodate you before May 7 or after May 14.
Each bunk room has four oversize bunk beds, two desks, lockable closets and a window looking out over the rainforest or Tofino Botanical Gardens. The facility also features a library, classroom, full kitchen, coin-operated laundry, free wireless internet, an internet station, and plenty of storage. Shared bathrooms (separate womens and mens, each with showers, sinks, toilets).
The dorm bunk cost will be about $27 per person per night, plus 5% tax. There are three queen rooms (queen sized bed).
Visit www.tbgf.org/cfs for more information.
All students must enquire first with Natasha Duarte at email@example.com. Please do not inquire if you are not a student registered to attend the Congress.
Crystal Cove Beach Resort
Located a 5 minute walk south of the main congress site at Tin Wis Resort (via the beach), the Crystal Cove Beach Resort has 34 modern log cabins from two bedroom and den to studio style to accommodate getaways for families or couples. They feature full kitchens, a TV with VCR (some with DVD), a CD player, barbeque, and some have Jacuzzi tubs or outdoor hot tubs. For those cozy rainy days the cabins feature a wood burning fireplace, wood stove, or gas fireplace. The well-appointed kitchens have everything right down to saran wrap and aluminum foil. The fridge and stove are full size, all cabins have microwaves, and the two bedroom and den cabins have a dishwasher. You will find books, magazines, and a good selection of movies at the office, as well as a computer with internet access and wireless, free of charge. Firewood is complimentary throughout your stay.
Log cabins sleep a maximum of 4 people to 8 people (6 adults). Visit http://www.crystalcovebeachresort.com/logcabins.htm to examine various bed configurations.
2009 rates range from $185 to $300 per night, plus 15% tax. This is based on double occupancy. There is a $20.00 per person additional charge.
Ocean Village Resort
Located a 5 minute walk south of the main congress site at Tin Wis Resort (via the beach), the Ocean Village Resort is a collection of studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom cottages, each equipped with kitchens and bathrooms. These cottages are ideal for families and for groups of friends and colleagues who wish to stay together. Because each cottage has a kitchenette, you can prepare your own food. Cottages are NOT equipped with televisions, radios or telephones. Free wireless internet is available. The resort has a heated, indoor salt-water pool.
One bedroom cottages have a queen sized bed as well as a queen sized sofa bed in the living area and sleep a maximum of 4 people. Two bedroom cottages have a queen sized bed, two twin beds, a queen sized sofa bed in the living area and sleep a maximum of 6 people.
(A duplex is larger cottage split into two separate units, each with its own entry door, kitchen and bathroom).
Ocean Village Beach Resort has two duplex cottages, divided into top floor or ground level units.
Both duplex cottages have a queen sized bed and two small day beds (single beds) in the living room and sleep a maximum of four people.
2009 rates for these cottages are $150 - $190 per cottage per night plus 15% tax (regardless of how many people occupy a cottage). 2010 information will be posted as soon as it is available.
Camping and RVs
Please enquire to the Congress Organizer about camping and RV options.
Recommended only for experienced campers and RV-ers.
There are numerous bed and breakfasts, vacation rental homes, and other lodges, resorts, and motels in Tofino. Please visit www.tourismtofino.com for information.
More affordable accommodation is also provided at the Whalers on the Point Guest House (a hostel), at www.tofinohostel.com), the Tofino Trek Inn (www.tofinotrekinn.com) and information about camping is available www.tofinocamping.com. Of these camping sites, Bella Pacific, Mackenzie Beach Resort, and Crystal Cove are all located on Mackenzie Beach.
Questions to keep in mind when booking accommodation...
- How far is it to Tin Wis Resort (distance)? (So you have an idea of how long it might take to walk to the resort if you do not have a car.)
- Does your establishment provide cooking facilities?
- What is the maximum number of people that can stay here?
- What is your cancellation policy?
North American Accommodation and Food Service Terms
- Bed and Breakfast - an establishment that offers accommodation and breakfast but usually does not offer other meals. Typically, bed and breakfasts are private homes with fewer than 3 bedrooms available for commercial use. View some Tofino bed and breakfasts here: http://www.tofino-bc.com/accommodations/b-and-b-tofino-society.php.
- Hotel, Resort, Inn, Lodge - these are all terms that typically (but not always) describe larger establishments (dozens of rooms) and often include other services such as a restaurant, swimming pool, or spa. Not all hotels, resorts, inns and lodges in Tofino have their own restaurant.
- Motel - a smaller establishment that usually does not have any extra services such as a restaurant or swimming pool.
- Vacation Rental or Short Term Rental - a private home that can be rented out in its entirety (e.g., the owners do not also live in the house). Always includes full kitchen and bathroom and other amenites such as TV, wireless internet etc.
- Condo, or condominium - a privately owned apartment.
- Studio - refers to a room or condo that has no bedroom, i.e., the bed is in the living room. Includes private bathroom.
- Single Occupancy - refers to a single person staying in a room, alone.
- Double Occupancy - refers to two people staying in a room together. The room may have one bed or two beds. If you required two beds for two people, ensure you clarify this with the accommodation provider!
- King Bed - a very large bed; 76 x 80 inches (or 198 x 203 cm); sleeps two.
- Queen Bed - the standard sized bed in most North American hotels and houses; 60 x 80 inches (or 153 x 203 cm); sleeps two.
- Double or Full Bed - a smaller bed designed for two people; 54 x 75 inches (137 x 190 cm); sleeps two.
- Single Bed or Twin Bed - smallest bed size; 39 x 75 inches (or 99 x 190 cm); sleeps one.
- Hide-a-bed, or Pull Out Sofa - a sofa that converts to a bed. Unless otherwise stated, most sofa beds are double, NOT queen sized.
- Hotel Sales Tax (HST) - a tax that is applied to most accommodation, equaling 10% of the price. Typically NOT included in quoted rates.
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) - a general tax that is applied to most things and service in Canada (except unprepared foods) of 5% of the value of the item.
- Tip, or gratuity - money that is given for a service, usually for restaurant service. In Canada, servers (waiters/waitresses) typically receive about 15% on the after-tax total, although anywhere from 10-20% is within the average range. Most restaurants in Tofino apply an automatic gratuity when 6 or more people eat together in a restaurant.
- Kitchenette - small kitchen or area for preparing food, often just a part of a room instead of a separate room.
Accommodation: 1 – Middle Beach Lodge; 2 – Bella Pacifica Campground; 3 – Mackenzie Beach Resort (ISE Board); 4 – Tin Wis (Main Congress Venue); 5 – Ocean Village Resort; 6 – Crystal Cove Resort; 7 – Clayoquot Field Station and Tofino Botanical Gardens (Congress Host). Walking time for entire length of beach = 15 minutes. Walking time from Clayoquot Field Station to Tin Wis = 15 minutes. Map adapted from www.tofinotime.com